In this issue we explore the continuing and often frustrating conversations around culture and faith that have risen in the past 10 to 15 years or so (depending upon place). During this period, a wave of awareness of the role of Indigenous people in mission has swept the planet drawing many into its circle. A re-visitation of culture and its function — or lack of—in authentic Christian faith has been at the center of this Spirit-led move to understand the position of indigenous people in the body of Christ. In response, several position papers have been issued from various Native ministries in North America and elsewhere, which have elevated the debate to an often-fevered pitch. Into this debate have waded committed people from both sides of the issue.
1. Jacobs, Adrian, Richard Twiss, and Terry LeBlanc. “Culture, Christian Faith And Error.” pp, 5–35.
2. Hayward, Douglas James. “Foundations For Critical Contextualization: Preliminary Considerations for Doing Contextualization among First Nations Christians.” pp, 37–51.
3. Johnson, Don. “Response To: Foundations For Critical ContextualizatioN: Preliminary Considerations for Doing Contextualization among First Nations Christians.” pp, 53–57.
4. Fullingim, Mike, and Jerry Pence. “Response To: Foundations For Critical Contextualization: Preliminary Considerations for Doing Contextualization among First Nations Christians.” pp, 59–65.
5. Woodley, Randy. “Hard Questions Concerning Structure & Values In The New North American Aboriginal Church.” pp, 67–71.
6. Buller, Cornelius A. “Response To: Hard Questions Concerning Structure & Values In The New Aboriginal Church.” pp, 73–78.
7. Aldred, Ray. “Us Talking to Us.” pp, 79–93.
8. Busink, Evert. “Response To: Us Talking to Us.” pp, 95–98.
9. Smith, Craig S. “‘Boundary Lines’: The Issue of Christ, Indigenous Worship, and Native American Culture.” pp, 101–39.
10. “(CHIEF) A Biblical Position by Native Leaders on Native Spirituality: April 2,1998.” pp, 141–43.
11. “A Biblical Position by the Native American Fellowship of the Assemblies of God on the Presentation of the Gospel within the Context of Native Cultures.” pp, 145–46.
12. LeBlanc, Terry. “Culture, Faith and Mission: Creating the Future.” pp, 149–66.
13. Jacobs, Adrian. “Vulnerability And Mentoring.” pp, 167–71.